Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Band I Dig: The Spill Canvas



I first found out about The Spill Canvas when I saw their video "All Over You" during a commercial break while I was watching Radio Free Roscoe (cool Canadian show with decent music from early 2000s, a little cheesy now, but I still love it.) That's actually saying a lot because I was really hungry at the time and I was going to go get some food but I had to stop and watch the video. Not too long later I had developed a full blown addiction. The Spill Canvas hails from South Dakota, and from what I've read they're definitely making it in the music industry the old-fashioned way (recording, touring, and working your but off, which seems to be less common with Nickelodeon and The Disney Channel building disturbingly popular tween empires)
Below are some of The Spill Canvas's songs to make your ears happy.

"All Over You" oozes emotion and basically says everything you wish you could say to the person of your unrequited affection.
"Staplegunned" I think is summed up in the line "The chemistry between us could destroy this place" (I know!)
"All Hail the Heartbreaker" Obsessing over someone, especially in the unrequited sense (What!? I'm not obsessing, I just... am thinking. Thinking. No obsession here. Nope.)
"Polygraph, Right Now" Technically I think there's many different emotions crammed into this one, take the lines "Fate is an elegant, cold-hearted whore" and "I'm scared to death to know what you think of me" as examples. This will probably get stuck in your head for awhile.
"Lust A Prima Vista" Title describes this one more eloquently than I can.
"The Tide" One of The Spill Canvas' many songs that tell a story, this is my favorite though.
"Saved" This song is on the Sounds of Superman album (random album featuring songs that could be associated with Superman) I've also seen it used in some fan videos of various shows. It'd be nice if life was like the movies.
"Low Fidelity" Distance. It's a bummer.
"Hush Hush" Ah, why must we sometimes fall for the, er, loose people? Oh and I always remember the meaning of the word "nonchalant" because of this song.
"Sunsets and Car Crashes" Maybe a little bit of nostalgia. Paints pictures.
"Lullaby" Probably the sweetest song, come on "Just let me sing you to sleep" there's really no surpassing that in my book.


0 comments: